Liberty Tie

A tie – the classic Father’s day gift. My Dad doesn’t really wear ties though – maybe once or twice a year. I thought it would be nice for him to have one that’s really special for the rare occasions that he does wear a tie. This was made from some Liberty in Lodden and Queue for the Zoo – two of my favourite Liberty patterns!

I drafted the pattern myself and I think if I make it again it will be a touch skinnier. I’m not the biggest fan of them but skinny ties feel like they’ve been ‘in’ forever, which makes this chunky tie feel a little dated. Maybe that suits the William Morris though!

Lorem ipsum

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce tristique pharetra velit. Vivamus tristique gravida venenatis. Proin a ornare magna, sed tincidunt erat. Aliquam scelerisque, risus quis mollis tempor, quam nulla fringilla ipsum, eget sodales purus felis nec dolor. Nulla porta pulvinar ultricies. Cras vitae aliquam tortor, vitae ornare dolor. Ut ultricies eros ante, sit amet vestibulum ipsum lobortis lobortis. Suspendisse quis dolor sed nulla molestie imperdiet at ac orci. Aenean sed justo in dolor viverra lacinia sed non risus. Curabitur diam purus, malesuada id enim nec, congue maximus tellus. Vivamus scelerisque augue in mauris tincidunt, sed vulputate elit luctus. Nam vel odio sit amet orci vestibulum porttitor. Nulla molestie condimentum tortor, facilisis condimentum augue euismod et. Phasellus ut diam suscipit, condimentum magna nec, condimentum felis. Donec et dui at massa tempor viverra. Nunc a libero non massa sagittis bibendum et at urna.

Victorian Chair Reupholstery

This, probably, Victorian corner chair belonged to my Nanna, I don’t remember exactly how it came to be in my possession but I recall nobody else wanting it. It was in need of some work but it’s a lovely piece with huge sentimental value to me.

Wear and tear and very little padding remaining.

I started by stripping the chair back completely. This was a process, when I was done I was covered in one hundred year old dust head-to-toe! I uncovered two previous lives in the chair.

My Nanna had covered the chair by tacking some fabric over the top. Underneath was a cream floral fabric which in some areas remained unbleached by the sun. Under that was the original upholstery, the fabric was darker – still floral. Obviously traditional methods had been used, it felt wrong to do any different in reupholstering.

I enrolled in an evening upholstery course, everyone else appeared to be doing modern upholstery methods or much smaller simpler items. Nevertheless I was keen to bring some life back to this tired chair. Every Thursday evening I hauled the chair into my Micra’s boot. The progress felt slow at times, layer after layer, bin bags worth of horsehair painfully worked into a firm seat.

It took the best part of a year to finish the chair. I remember little about the specifics of what I did but I did take lots of photos. When it finally came to the fabric to cover the chair I used my Nanna’s old curtains! William Morris Golden Lily, still in ok condition – a bit of discolouring in parts but they were big enough that I could cut around these parts.

Having been sat in the same position for many years a couple of the castors had become misshapen meaning the chair didn’t wheel very well. My Grampy is a very clever man and performed some sort of magic on the castors and restored them – good as new.

The last thing I did was to put a cutting of each of the previous fabrics inside the chair along with a note about the history of the chair. I closed off the bottom with the backing fabric from the curtains. I didn’t want the history of the chair to be lost.